mgs

Re: Oil Pump MGA

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>, yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pump MGA
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:47:18 -0500
At 06:53 PM 8/21/2000 +1000, Neil Cotty wrote:
>.... I can't find any data on what the Oil Pump end float and Rotor Side
clearance should be. ....

At 10:23 AM 8/21/2000 -0700, yd3@nvc.net wrote:
>The Haynes manual for the MGA on page 37 says the endfloat between the
pump exterior housing and the rotors should not exceed 0.005" and the gap
between the lob peaks and lobes within the pump should not exceed 0.010 inch.

IMHO, with considerable personal experience in this area, I would say that
0.006 inch internally between the rotor parts is a good practical limit.
At 0.010 inch clearance it may have trouble self priming after a long sit.

Also, any scratches in the apexes of the inner rotor or in the innermost
points of the outer rotor have a significant detrimental effect on oil flow
and oil pressure, same as having too much clearance between the rotor
parts.  Small scratches a few thousandths of an inch deep can be ignored,
but larger scrapes or many scratches close together will do you in.  If it
looke like it passed a handful of torpedo sand, see how far you can heave
it.  This is one part you really don't want to shortcut.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.con/~barneymg