mgs

Re: pulling a steering wheel - done.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pulling a steering wheel - done.
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:44:25 +0300
I wish to thank all the nice people who came up with ideas on how to remove my
steering wheel. I managed to replace the rubber-less old with a much better one
by using a Mini rear hub puller with its holes slightly enlarged "inwards",
which I attached to two diametrically opposed screws bolted on the old steering
wheel hub. It came off relatively easy and I did take it easy and slowly using
the "tighten-loosen" method on the puller center bolt. The wheel was indeed a
very very tight fit and unfortunately all the pullers available in the local
tool market have "moving" (i.e. adjustable) legs which really wouldn't do in
this case because the hub has an almose cone-shaped profile. If you take a look
at tool 18G1181, which is what BL would like us to use to remove a steering
wheel, it's not too different from a puller like the one I used.

Now the "new" wheel is in and the nut has been tightened to 37Nm, which,
according to the Haynes book is correct torque for a 9/16" thread. I hope
they're right and it doesn't come off!

Regards,
Evangelos