mgs

Re: Almost enough cooling

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Almost enough cooling
From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <creichle@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:13:11 -0400
Um, I don't think that statement makes much sense. No flame intended but,
think about this logically... The radiator gives off a certain amount of
heat, transfered from the water to the metal of the radiator and to the air
passing over the radiator. I think the part of the equation that you are
leaving off is that when water flows faster through the radiator the water
exiting may be hotter but there but more water is cooled (more heat is
extracted from the system).

Think about it this way, the amount of heat released by the radiator is
equal to the amount that the coolant passing through the radiator has been
cooled, (per gallon/volume). Hold airflow constant for a second. If the
entire radiator was at 130 degrees, the amout of heat given off or
transfered to the air passing over it would be large. If the radiator were
at 100 degrees, the amount of heat released to the air would be less. In
order to keep the whole radiator hot, water flow has to be high. When you
slow down the water, the later part of the radiator cools down and less heat
is released from the system. A cooler radiator releases less heat.
Increasing the flow rate through the radiator will maintain a higher
temperature delta over the entire surface of the radiator between the cool
air and the hot coolant and more heat will be extracted from the system.

It is possible that putting a larger pully on the water pump will enhance
cooling but not because the water is flowing slower through the radiator and
giving off more heat. It would be speculation but, a larger pully on the
water pump would reduce the load on the engine at high speed which could in
turn lower the heat output of the engine. It is also possible that the water
pump cavetates or otherwise loses efficiency at high rpm and therefore,
slowing it down would yield better cooling (greater flow of water).

Would slowing down the airflow accross the radiator increase the amount of
heat released? Well, the air coming off the back of the radiator would be
hotter but there would be less of it and less overall heat would be
extracted. It doesn't make sense that less airflow would cool the radiator
better does it? But that is kinda the same arguement that you are making for
why slowwer water through the radiator would cool more. Now someone out
there is going to tell me that they put a bigger cfm fan on their radiator
and it didn't cool as good as the little one because the air was moving too
fast through the radiator. Larger fans have larger motors that block more
airflow than smaller ones. Sometimes the increased flow of air accross a
small part of the radiator does not outweigh the complete loss of airflow
accross another part. Deminishing returns... So my point is, I'm not saying
that what you have witnessed is not possible, just that it is not for the
reasons you may think and applying those ideas to a simlar problem may not
yeild the desired results.

Chris Reichle