mgs

Re: pulling a steering wheel

To: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>, "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>,
Subject: Re: pulling a steering wheel
From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <creichle@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:02:14 -0400
I have found that if you losen but leave the nut on the column and then with
two hands pull back and forth violently on the top of the wheel, it pops
right off. You don't want to pull or push hard as if you were trying to bend
it, you want to do it really quickly with sharp action.

How did I discover this method? Well, I was trying to remove an old LE wheel
to replace it with a motolita on my 80 B. After hours banging on the column
and bending the spokes of the wheel back with a pully puller, I just freeked
out and grabbed the thing violently in a fit of rage and frustration. To my
surprise, it came right off in my hand. I have used this method a few times
and never been disappointed. Good luck.

Chris Reichle