mgs

Re: Speed

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speed
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:32:02 EDT
In a message dated 8/03/00 7:19:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I was quite impressed the one time I took the car up to 100 mph on a back
>  road in Ohio. So maybe I could get some other car that would easily do 130
>  or 140 but I don't think I'd have enough guts to take it that far nor
>  would I have a reason.. :)
>  >  100 MPH is more than enough to overload the adrenaline in my body.

Two problems - public roads (nothing ruins your day like a pesky tractor
pulling out in front of you, or on an interstate a peskier passer in front of
you pulling into your lane, or a police car that wonders what the heck you
are doing.

Second problem - high speeds don't always combine well with old cars that
aren't always mechanically perfect.

That aside, my A coupe will do 105 (3 main MGB engine), my wife's slightly
modfied MGC has touched 130, and my Twincam (race car) tops out at about 135
with the gears I use, although given enough road and a higher gear, it would
add about 5 mph to that, which would put it just under my old Jensen (never
had it over 140!).

All illegal speeds were of course attained on closed circuits ;-)

Bill