mgs

Re: Thermostat and Fans

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>
Subject: Re: Thermostat and Fans
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:07:18 -0700
Well, if they turn and they go, the thermoswitch is a good guess, but
before you replace it, check your coolant level.  If you don't have enough
coolant to hit the top, then your switch won't kick in.  This happened to
me when I was practically out of coolant (which just compounded the
problem), but it may happen in not quite-so-extreme situations.  However,
if your coolant level is fine, then get a new thermoswitch.  About $14 new,
$45 if original Lucas.  Used price ??

You're okay as long as the temp is low.  Note that you're more at risk
sitting in traffic than when driving.  At driving speed you get more effect
from the moving air than from the fans anyway.  It's when you're not moving
that it's a problem.

Temporary fix (or permanent, if you wish):  Put a switch by the dashboard
so you can manually activate the fans when desired.  Get the parts at a
hardware store or RadioShack or whatever.   This should hold you until you
get a switch.  But if you're not in the city in hot temps, you should be
okay anyway.

- Tab