mgs

RE: polished aluminum head

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: polished aluminum head
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 20:37:04 -0400
Chris said:

>I was always under the impression that a polished surface had less heat
>transfer than a rough surface.  The exterior of the head on our cars
>doesn't do much heat dissipation to the air, but it does do >>some<<.  I
>don't know if the reduced heat dissipation is enough to be an issue, but
>thought I'd mention it for discussion's sake.

After reading the Vizard book about the A-series engine, it seemed that the
underlying theme is that heat dissapation is accomplished only by coolant.
The purpose of polishing is to diminish resistance to air flow.  I got the
impression that polishing in and of itself isn't as important as making sure
that the intake and exhaust ports are perfetly matched.  Also, routine
decarbonization is critical to maintaining optimal flow rates.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite