mgs

Re: Alternator?

To: "Tyson Sherman" <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:34:53 -0000
Does the ignition warning light come on when you first turn on the ignition
and go off again when the engine has started and revved to at leats 900rpm?
It should.

What is the voltage on, say, a brown at the fuse block with the engine
running?  If it is 12v or so the alt is not charging, if it is 13.5v to 14v
it is.

The warning light acts as the initial field excitation to start the alt
charging at about 900 rpm.  Without it you may have to rev to 2k or 3k to
get it started, or it may not start at all.

Have a look at the web site below for info on faulting the charging
circuit - select 'Spanners', 'Electrics' and 'Ignition Warning Light &
Charging'.  Also make sure you have 12v on the browns at the alternator plug
with either a charged battery or jump cables connected.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1 )