mgs

Re: [MGs bad in rain, snow, etc.]

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGs bad in rain, snow, etc.]
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 6 Mar 00 11:02:28 EST
I'll throw in my two cents on MGBs in adverse weather:

They are wonderful.

Unless the snow is DEEP -- six inches of fresh powder is an absolute blast, I
mean unless the snow is REALLY DEEP -- or unless the water is deep enough to
come in through the door openings, my MGB is a treat in all weather
conditions.  The handling is balanced, the steering is good, and the brakes
behave exactly like any other car.   Keep good tires on it and drive like a
rational person (i.e. 80 mph in a blizzard is risky, if you fall off the road,
don't blame the car...) and you'll find it a really nice little car.

I don't really even have a problem with the wipers (except that my wiper motor
is getting noisy -- any advice on fault finding here?), the demister/defroster
keeps the front screen clear, and it's a ton of fun.

My left leg used to get wet in the rain, but then I put some sealant in the
seam between the left fender and the (whatsit called, the panel with the
wipers and the heater vent in it?) and that dried things up.

Now, if only the "demister" were an effective HEATER, too...

Matt