mgs

RE: Portland, OR MGs

To: "'Max Heim'" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Portland, OR MGs
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:12:49 -0600
I bought my '75 MGB while I was in Portland (I worked on a project there for
about 9 months, but I live in Austin). Portland has a car culture very much
like Southern California. People don't hesitate to drive their older,
un-restored drivers around. I used to see a guy driving an old Bentley
around and lots of muscle cars and british iron.

While I was there I got the bug to buy a convertible, after driving a bunch
of Alfa Spyders, I drove an MGB and decided that it was the car for me. I
was lucky enough to find my '75 which only needed the gas gauge sender
replaced to be a daily driver. Since then (I've owned it for 2.5 years),
I've only replaced the rear wheel cylinders and tightened a bolt or two.
I've done a couple of discrecionary things like, putting mini-lights on it,
lowered springs, a carpet kit, etc.  I'll probably keep it until I decide to
order a Caterham or something...

----
John Steczkowski
Director, Server I/O