mgs

MGB overdrive questions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB overdrive questions
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:09:35 -0500
Going over the overdrive which I bought this week
(thanks to Dave Deutsch ) I have some questions about
the wiring and operation.  There are two switches on
the box.  Checking them with a continuity tester
I figured out that the one on the right side is for the
reverse lights and the one on the left is for the
overdrive. My shop manual makes reference to a third
switch for transmission controlled spark advance.  Is
there supposed to be such a switch?

The switch which appears to be for the overdrive cutout
is on only in 4th gear.  Is that correct?  (My Healey does
overdrive in both 3rd and 4th, very convenient when the
traffic on the parkway gets a little thick.)

Thanks,

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB

BTW,  Thanks to everyone who responded with overdrives
for sale or suggestions as to where I might buy one.