mgs

Re: Car show judging

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car show judging
From: JustBrits@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:35:05 EDT
In a message dated 09/23/1999 7:14:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA writes:

Ladies & Gentlemen:

   I have known Rich for a VERY long time, can call him a friend (I hope
<G>!) and would like to add my $ .25 worth.

<< I DRIVE the car to the event, even if the event is 1600 miles
 each way (Mount Hope, Ontario Canada to Breckenridge, Colorado in August
 1993 in my '56 BN2 >>

Missed that one.

<<and before that Mount Hope, Ontario to "where was that
 place" in Oklahoma in 1988 with my '54 BN1, >>

Hottest da*ned event in HISTORY !!  And yes Rich was there with his beautiful
car.
I know 'cause I was there.

<<and before that, Mount Hope,
 Ontario to Oconomowac, Wisconsin in 1983 in my '62 BT7 Mk2, >>

My first Conclave (and in a Frogeye with spun bearing and bad paint) and Rich
was there in another beautiful car.

<<and for that
 matter, Mount Hope, Ontario to Fredricksburg, Pa. in my '69 MGB/GT in 1981.>>

Missed that one.

<< In all these cases, I supported the concours events by actively judging
 other folk's cars,>>
<snip>
   What Rich has failed to Mention is that he was a Founding Member (& Chair)
of the AH Concours Committee and largely responsible for undertaking the task
of developing the National Standards for Austin-Healey Concours Judging.

<< A so called "trailer queen" don't have the advantage the uninformed think
 it has. >>

That is very true.  At our event in Charlotte or Harrisburg (can't remember
which - OF'dom), I was a Judge for Convertibles (BJ-7 & 8s).  A "Trailer
Queen" BJ-8 in Golden Metallic and shod with RS5 Whitewalls was being
"judged" .  I had the fortune (or mis fortune) to be doing engine &
compartment and found PARTIAL hand painted "restored" brake lines.  Trouble
was, only the front of the lines where done and you could see the back edges
where just plain old rusted steel was.  This means the lines had never been
off the car and "covering up" was good enough.
Not so and full points were deducted.  Car didn't do so well and went back
INTO trailer.  Oh well !

<<Judges, and indeed the scoring standards are looking for
 originality, and condition. >>

Yep.
<snip>

<< The last point I would like to make here is the fact that the drivability
 of an original spec car is often frowned at. Tires, ignition, fuses in the
 electrical system, poorly engineered original hose clamps; the list goes
on.>>

Without a doubt.  The gent with the "Trailer Queen" always brought a set of
new wheels and tires so he and his wife could toodle around the event and do
the rallye.
The Road Speeds stayed in the trailer!!  Although, not a Healey phrase,
"Safety Fast" is applicable to all our cars.

<< Because I always drive my cars, I try to live with a happy medium. I have
 used the correct spec sizes of tires, eg. 165x15 Pirelli P3's when they were
 available, and double wire hose clamps instead of the flat windup band type
 on the Hundreds. The ignition has been original spec, the newly installed
 accurate to original wire harness with the original 2 fuse system, the
 original, though freshly rebuilt gearboxes and overdrives, etc. have NEVER
 given the slightest hint of problems.>>

And IMHO, owners who think they have a "better idea" are only looking at a
portion of the problem.  When the ENTIRE vehicle is in the condition as it
left the factory there will be few problems, if any.

<< I've gladly bowed to the few concessions I have purposely changed and
 "improved", and received only minimal point losses, still achieving well
 into gold levels in each instance. >>

And he has done so with YEARS of working car & system knowledge.

<< Build 'em good, then drive 'em! >>

And IMO, correctly !!  The Brits actually DID know what they were doing!!

<<Experience what a new Healey was like in
 your little "Time Machine" >>

Thanks, Rich !!!!

          Ed
          '73 MGB (Muriel)
          '63 BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey)
          Founding Member (& Delegate), ILLINI Chapter - AHCA
          Member, AHCUSA
          Member, NAMGBR
          etal