mgs

Re: McGovern Leaves....

To: MGMagnette@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: McGovern Leaves....
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 15:09:49 -0400
> NO LOSS!   Honestly now, is there much that particularly says either "MG"
or
> "beautiful car" about the MGF?  I guess its a nice car by the numbers
sold,
> but it doesnt' look like an MG or anything particularly special. Gerry
> McGovern, in my opinion, wass not the biggest talent of Rover's current
> designers.  He just didn't really get what an MG looked like, to me
atleast.
> They had a good thread going with the RV8, but he dropped the ball.  Well
> bully for Lincoln.

Wrong, BIG LOSS.  Gerry McGovern's talents (as a designer) were not what I
meant when I said that I didn't feel it was a positive move for us.  Gerry
McGovern, since the launch of the MGF, has been widely instrumental in
getting the MG name back out there.  He has done numerous interviews, he has
done numerous appearances, he interacted with the enthusiasts and owners.
He, I feel, was very responsible for the spirit that the 'new' MG owners
took too.  The MGF may not be what you think an MG is, but the MGF and it's
owners definitely carry the MG Spirit.

>   Now some good designs for MGs have come out of the Rover Group, courtesy
of
> Roy Axe who did both the MG EX-E and the TVR-based MG/Austin Healey
vehicle
> with the neatest modern version of MGA/old XJ-6 rear fenders you ever saw.
> He is certainly qualified to design future MGs.

Roy Axe's EX-E, designed when Rover Group was still Austin Rover, is a fugly
concept car, how that even resembles an MG I have no idea.  Roy Axe's TVR
based car is gorgeous, I will give you that; however, it is more suited as
an Austin Healey... and in a 1995 issue of Classic and Sportscar or T&CC
there is a very nice long article on PR5 - as it was due to be unvieled at
BMHIT museum.  In that article it specifically states that Roy Axe drew the
tones of the car directly from his own Austin Healey 3000.  BTW, Roy Axe
left Rover Group and now runs his own design house.

>    Who did the MGR-V8 redesign?  It was FANTASTIC.

David Bishop spearheaded that prior to the Special Vehicles Dept. at Rover
taking over the design and production of the MG RV8.  David Bishop has since
left British Motor Heritage also.  (noticing a patern?)

>    Did you see the Roy Axe design for an MG that was built off a TVR to
save
> time?  You'd like it... pictures are in MG the Untold Story, on page 212.
> Its description is terrible, I guess it was supposed to be a "boulevard
> cruiser" but it looks great.  Thats the one with the really cool rear
fenders.

How about ADO21 also pictured in MG the Untold Story, I think McGovern was
playing off of what BL tried to do with that car...  again, that article in
the 1995 C&S or T&CC is so much nicer than what is given in MG the Untold
Story, and it has colour images (I have a few of PR5 in JPEG format if
anyone wants them, one mass mailing late tonight or tomorrow morning).
Pictures of EX-E have been on my website for about 5 years now...
http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg/raremgs.htm too me it looks like some sort of
Japanese car.

>   Just looking at this book again, there is someone at Rover named Don
Wyatt
> who seems to have the MG look distilled...  look at the Advernturer 2
> prototype on page 215.  Also the updated Midget bodyshell (a la MGR-V8)
> concept on page 211.  Looks like an MGA, but entirely feasible for today
in
> terms of styling, I'd say.  Nothing more outrageous than the BMW Z was to
BMW.

in terms of concepts, there were a few that really stuck out in MG World's
Design your own MG contest; again with McGovern being a noticible force here
as he was one of the judges in deciding the winning designs.

>     So, I'm not too upset.  They've got lots and lots of talent to fill
the
> "void".

Like I said, it isn't that talent... it is the personality, spirit and
public image of Rover / MG.

>   But I don't see the MG world going into mourning over this one!
>   John

I wouldn't say mourning.  But I'm very sceptical of what happened, and
future events.  How does parent company BMW feel about this?  McGovern,
again, was a major supporter within Rover for new MGs in the future.

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu
'74 Triumph TR6 -- '66 MGB, both @ home