mgs

Re: Heater connecting tubes

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heater connecting tubes
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:32:10 -0700
Oh boy... this is probably the single nastiest job I've ever tackled on
the 'B. Advice to all first-time tinkerers: DO NOT under any
circumstances attempt to remove the heater box from the vehicle unless
absolutely unavoidable (i.e. favorite gerbil trapped inside, etc). The
heater core can be removed and replaced by removing the cover only.

I went through this for no particular reason years ago and have regretted
the time wasted ever since. Then my buddy foolishly tried to pull his
heater box first thing when he brought home his '69 -- 11 years ago.
Yesterday and today I spent, oh, four or five hours on further
disassembly trying to fix the mess he started (he kinked the heater flap
cable by trying to pull the box without first detaching it, among other
things... broke the rivets in the flap that hold the cable clamp... etc.).

Those two %*&#@*!! tubes have to simultaneously align with the holes in
the bottom of the box, and with the two rubber grommet/elbows for the
defroster hoses. But there is no way to get a hand in there to guide them
into position. And they are too short to provide any overlap for a
sliding fit.

In my case, I got disgusted and found some other plastic tubing
(extension tube for a cheap vacuum cleaner) that was a snug sliding fit
inside the tubes, then sawed each one of the original tubes in half. I
fit a short length of the smaller vac tube partly inside one end of the
original tube, and inserted the other end as deep as possible into the
heater box.. Then I took the other piece, and inserted it tightly into
the grommet/elbow (mounted in the removeable plate, of course). This
allowed me to start overlapping the "telescoping" lengths of tubing while
I could still see what was happening and could get a finger in there to
help. Then I just shoved it home and replaced the screws. I'm sure it was
at least as airtight as the factory installation. After describing this
to him, my friend found some copper plumbing couplings that fit neatly on
the outside of the tubes, so we'll be trying these on his.

I suppose somebody (veteran Abingdon line worker?) must know how they got
those things together originally. I think they used trained weasels,
myself.

Good luck!

Enrique Claure had this to say:

--