mgs

Re: Engine Rebuild

To: Fred Pixley <fpixley@kingston.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 18:09:22 -0500
Fred Pixley wrote:

> Thank you Trevor.  What you suggest makes sense.  I hadn't thought to plug
> the rod journals

  Indeed, places like that are the worst. Anywhere else really,
the swarf will probably wash harmlessly away, or maybe do
one scratch then end up in the filter. Inside a bearing though
it could do real damage before it eventually gets chewed
up enough to float out.

> In view of the weather I probably can't
> use a pressure washer to blast away the debris.

  Even a hose of hot water would be better than
nothing, if you can get it dried and oiled before
it ices up on you. Maybe this is unscientific on
my part, but I just like the thought of lots and
lots of detergent and flowing water or air to
carry everything away. Rags don't really seem
to do such a thorough job.

> Do you have any opinions on whether the straight type cylinder hone or the
> bottle brush ball type hone is preferable?

  I have only used the straight type, but they
work ok. I guess that's half an opinion. Most of the
older manuals seem to show bottle hones, but most
of the stores seem to carry straight ones with
replaceable stones. I wonder if it's a "more modern"
version?

  Remember to ridge ream if there is any ridge at
the top of the bores. (or so I was told 400 times
when I did this job so I did and it seemed fine. ;>)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca