mgs

Re: Two MGB distributor questions

To: renevm@support.neth.hp.com
Subject: Re: Two MGB distributor questions
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 19:41:20 EDT
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 15:10:41 +0200 Rene van Maanen
<renevm@support.neth.hp.com> writes:
>Hi,
>
>It's a 68 with a 18GD distributor.
>I found the small vacuum hose going to the vacuum advancer defective
>today. When I got it all disassembled, I found two weird things:
>
>1> The advancer doesn't seem to anvance when I "vacuum with my mouth".
>Is that notrmal? should I apply more vacuum, or is it likely that it's
>shot?

Most likely it's toast.
A word of caution here. Checking a vacuum advance "by mouth", could
easily lead to ingestion of raw gasoline into the lungs.  Too many times
I've seen V/A units with as much as a teaspoon of gasoline in them, for
various and sundry reasons. Accidently getting that much gas into your
body is gonna cause problems that ain't easy to fix!

>2> There are two different springs in attached two the weight
>advancer.
>Shouldn't there be two of the same kind?

No, the smaller (lighter) of the two controls the rate of inital advance
(which is relatively rapid), while the larger (heavier) controls the rate
of advance in the later stages, whis is slower.
 The heavier spring should also be a loose fit on the mount pegs.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

>Thanks for any help.
>
>Rene
>--
>Rene and Marion van Maanen     If everything seems to be going
>well,
>Netherlands Europe             you obviously don't know
>                               what the hell is going on.
>                                        (Murphy)
>
>SOHC #252 sohc4@dorje.com     Honda CB350F ['74]
>                              Honda CB750K2 ['75]
>MG list mgs@autox.team.net    MGB GT ['68]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]