mgs

Re: IT PASSED!!!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: IT PASSED!!!!
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 06:07:27 -0400
Pat,

All that worry over nothing.  They don't include an idle number? Just at
speed?  The reason I ask is the siamesed inlets on the Bs have more
problems being clean at idle than at higher RPM.  I will look to see
what the NOx limits are in other areas (anyone else know).  That way
you'll know if you need to worry next time.

Now just add fuel to the fire.  I'm curious since the car passed so much
under the limits, what are your (and others) feelings about vehicles
that are over these yests?  Remember the B's would be much harder to
make run clean than other vehicles.  Shouldn't we expect owners to at
least try to make their vehicles to run clean?  If you were a regulator
how would you write the laws to achieve these goals (prevent blatantly
dirty vehicles that require adjustments or minor repairs from dirtying
the air)?

Reply off-list if you wish, but we should think about these issues
before making blanket condemnations of regulators.  While I don't
believe the current methods are cost effective and many regulators are
heavy-handed and don't try and see the other side of some of these
issues, I am also unconvinced that other methods would be any better.
And for every LBC that is not driven more than 4,000 miles per year,
there is a similar aged (for the vehicles from the 1970's at least)
vehicle that is used as a daily driver.  Down the block from me is
someone who uses a 1960 Chevy Impala as a daily driver (pre square body
with winglets).  They salt the roads here and it's well rusted but I see
him going out in all weather (even during good sized snow storms).

Its similar is some respects to speed limits.  We know that without them
(except on well designed roads, with little traffic, few curves and no
pedestrians) there would be chaos.  We also know that in many cases they
are set too low and used as a revenue stream for local governments.