mgs

MGB turn switch fix

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB turn switch fix
From: nogera1@juno.com (bob nogueira)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 22:34:38 -0500
Just thought I'd share a fix for a broken MGB turn signal switch ( 1974).
When my switch would not remain in the off position I went to my parts
car and pulled the switch off only to find it suffered from the same
problem. The spring loaded pin which holds the arm in the off position (
middle)  sits in a very thin plastic housing which breaks and allows the
pin to shoot off to who knows where. Both units had the same fracture.
I built up the area, completely filling the square hole with JB Weld. A
piece of thin cardboard  kept the JB weld off the moving cam and I
avoided getting any on the top where the metal spring retainer fits.
Once dry, I drilled a 5/32 inch hole where the square hole was located.
Dropped in a 5/32 inch ball bearing , replaced the spring on top of the
ball bearing and refitted the spring retaining cap.
I can actually say it works better than before it was broke. Very smooth
action with no play and a firm but not hard feel .

Bob