mgs

Re: Tire wear on 76 MGB

To: Robert Alan Reisse <rareisse@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Tire wear on 76 MGB
From: "Mike Lishego" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:41:16 EST
On to the next problem.  My left front tire is wearing on the inside rather
noticable.  There appears to be no correction for this problem in either
the Bentley or Hayes Manuals.  Any suyggestions.

Bob Reisse

Bob,
    Have you ever rebuilt your front suspension?  If not, the
bolt that attaches your A-Arms to the bottom of your kingpin may have
frozen itself up.  Actually, there are grease nipples there, and the
bolt runs through a steel tube which is inside the kingpin.  If the
car has ever sat for a long period of time, or the regular greasings
have been neglected this will cause the tube and bolt to fuse
themselves together.  When the car bounces up and down on the frozen
pieces, it ovals out the hole in your a-arms.  That ovaling process
causes your wheels to jut out on the bottom, causing the
inappropriate wear.
    If you've never done a front end rebuild on a 'B, now's the time!
 Plenty of listers have completed the task within a weekend, and
you'll be amazed at the difference it makes in the car's steering and
handling.
    Here's one question for the list.  If you have the A-arms with
ovaled holes, what is the best way to remedy this problem?  I know
that new A-arms can be had, for a price.   Is it possible, feasible,
and economical to simply weld the holes shut, then re-drill them?  I
have the terrible ovaled A-arms that came off of my '74 (before I
replaced them!) and I'd like them to see duty in the rebuild of my
'77.  Or, should I just buy good used ones?
Thanks,
Mike Lishego