mgs

Re: Distributor condenser measurements(MGB)

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Distributor condenser measurements(MGB)
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:39:49 +0000
Jurgen Hartwig wrote:

> Could someone do me a great big favor? I am in need of some
> measurements of the distributor condenser for a '75 model
> distributor(MGB). In fact, I imagine that all condensers used are of
> the same variety. I need to know what the capacitance of these
> condensers are. To alleviate my points burning problem, I'm going to
> slap a huge capacitor on the system. Also, does this side of the
> system, see only 12vdc, or do I need a capacitor rated for higher
> voltages? I always thought that the distributor parts only see lower
> voltages, while the coil voltages only go through the cap and into the
> plugs.

Haynes and the Workshop Manual describe them as 0.18 to 0.24 microfarad.
Judging by the physical dimensions they would seem to be quite high voltage,
which is what is generated as back EMF when the points open, even though the
primary voltage is only 12v.  A massive capacitor is unlikely to do you a lot
of
good, and may cause even more problems for two reasons.  1, if you are getting
points pitting then you have some other problem (ballasted coil running
un-ballasted? Defective condenser anyway?) and 2, the condenser is not just
there
to protect the points but creates a tuned circuit with the inductance of the
coil
that generates an oscillating output from the coil.  Change either the
inductance
or the capacitance in the tuned circuit and you change the waveform.

My advice is to find and fix the original problem.

PaulH.