mgs

Re: MG's & Landcrabs

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: MG's & Landcrabs
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:16:53 -0700
Paul Hunt wrote:

> neil.cairns@virgin.net wrote:
> >
> > Also, a bigger version of the Landcrab was the Austin
> > Ambassador, that used the same 18H engine, and a six cylinder version of
> > the 'E' series ohc, ( and not the 'C' series as in the MGC.)
>
> Originally the Austin Princess with 1600cc (I think) and the 2200 six which I
> had, the Ambassador was a face-lift, in the UK at least.  I would have said
>the
> Princess was smaller than the 1800 (Landcrab), but have no figures.  I only
> remember that Taxi firms saying they loved the 1800 because of its enormous
>rear
> leg room, certainly more than the Princess, which was still good.  Who's cars
>were
> 'better' is a moot point.  Leyland (or what ever they were called at the time)
> were suffering from terrible public relations at the time and for many years.
> always had excellent service from my BMC etc cars, far better than a new
>Sierra
> (company choice, not mine) some years later.
>
> PaulH.

This serves me right for using the name Landcrab in the first place....

The Princess and Ambassador (ADO71) used the same underframe as the
1800, it was a 'wedge-shaped' facelift, and I think better looking as
well. The Princess/Ambassador was longer than the 1800, its nose was the
culprit, so I called it 'bigger' for that reason. Princess used the SAME
1800 'B' series engine as the 1800 Landcrab, and the Ambassador the
2227cc 'E' series, ( as did a short lived Wolseley 18-22 version.)

Can we get any further from MG's?

Neil