mgs

Re: Lucas sports coil

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, <schooler@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Lucas sports coil
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 06:19:22 -0400
On 7/24/98 5:44 PM so and so (David Councill) said. (And I quote:)

>At 05:15 PM 7/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>David, you're the chap in Montana, right?  IMHO, use of the sport coil
>>just might make starting a bit easier when the temp drops to -35 F.  (I
>>spent 3.5 years in Great Falls with a '69 B/GT and never had a problem
>>starting it - but it was always plugged in during the cold weather and I
>>used synthetic oil.)
>>

>yes, I'm one of the ones in Montana and my 71BGT has faced 12 years of
>Wyoming/Montana winters under my ownership.
>
>I have found that once the temperature drops to 5 above zero, starting the
>car is iffy (and the seat cushions start getting hard). Plugged in (using a
>1 1/4 inch lower radiator hose heater), I can get reliable starts down to
>about 15 below zero.
>
>Below that - starting has been doubtful although a little ether (starting
>fluid) has helped me out a time or two.
>
>Now a days, I have a heated garage and even cars with heat so its not near
>as critical to get the car started. But if the sports coil gives me a
>little extra edge, I'll have to get one next time I order parts.
>
>David

Ya all sound like a bunch of cry babies to me. GT's in Montana. SHEESH!
Now a Midget in WY/CO for 9 yrs, as a daily driver. Now that's living.

No garage, no block heater (did have a battery heater).
Plowing through the snow, felt just like Rudolph. ;-)

Nothing like 30 below, 35 mph wind blowing snow under the (not so) soft
top to make one wonder - WHY????

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?