mgs

Re: California roads

To: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D),
Subject: Re: California roads
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:26:40 -0500

then Paul Kile said:

>lousy.  Sure enough, as soon as we passed the State Line, it was back to
>rough concrete and potholes. We had the Camry at the time - the BGT V-8
>would have been a real boneshaker.

And Carol added:

On the Brit Run trip last year, we had good luck with the "gravel roads" in
Canada on the Alcan highway and easily and comfortably and safely drove
60-70-80 mph on them. The "gravel" is actually a composite that will absorb
moisture from the air to eliminate dust, and it is smooth. When we got to
the Alaska border the roads went to heck. Patched and heaved. Rolly enough
to almost make us seasick.  Federal standards!  Every car's occupants made
the same observation: the roads went to heck after we crossed into the
state. I think Bob's words were "those shi**y Alaskan roads."

The surface used in Canada was much more suitable to the terrain and easy
to maintain with the road graders  that were parked about every twenty
miles along the way. The Alaska roads were hard-paved -- asphalt surface.
Frost heaves from the permafrost do a real number on that type of surface.

So, in some cases its where to waste the money. In other cases it's HOW!

Carol

...now running Windows '98, better known as "MacIntosh '87 "