mgs

RE: visiting the graveyard.....

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: visiting the graveyard.....
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:38:58 -0500
> The owner's eyes lit up like a pachinko machine when I was
> talking to him.
> "Well, how much do you think it's worth" he asked. I told him
> that under
> advice, I passed on a $1200 MGA (I'm kicking myself all the way to....
> wel..... somewhere, over that one. I listened to two too many
> pessimistic
> list members -- you KNOW who you are... It had a good body
> and it was all
> there.)
>
> I told him that without looking at it further, which he
> didn't let me do,
> I'd say the car was only worth about $500 or less. He rambled
> on about how
> sentimental his wife was about the car. Yada yada yada. Horse
> hockey. And
> he thinks he'll get around to restoring it one day. It hasn't
> been licensed
> in at least 15 years.
>
> There's another candidate for the crusher. Pity.

        I had a similar experience about three weeks ago when searching
a yard for some VW parts. Among the carcasses of more Detroit iron than
I care to mention was an early 60's B. It has been sitting for many,
many years (so long that it has settled to the point that the pan is
sitting at ground level) - the top has disintegrated over time, so the
pans are just about gone, and the seat covers gave up years ago. The
motor and trans are still in it, and the motor is intact all the way out
to the air cleaners. The car is also shockingly complete - the rear
bumper has been removed, but it's still sitting there with the car.
        The owner of this yard is very strange - you can almost hear
those "Deliverance" banjos as you're talking to him. So naturally, when
I inquired about the B, I was told it wasn't for sale. It will remain
there for many more years, until either urban encroachment forces him to
move or he dies. By the time something is done with it, there won't be
much left to crush.

Dan Pockrus
Systems Integration Engineer
Efficient Networks, Inc.