mgs

Re: Question about Magnette...

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: Question about Magnette...
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 08:17:19 -0700
MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:

>   Do you know of another British car, imported to America, that had the same
> door fuzzies as my Mk. III Magnette?  The light "blue" door fuzzy trim on my
> car is worn through where someone's shoulder hit, and it has all turnned
> colors.
>   I have had a hard time ordering things from England, so if you either know
> of an American source, or of another car that used the same trim, that would
> be a big help.
>
>    I am slowly but surely making this car look like new...   I am going to
> make one serious alteration in adding a mineral blue roof and rear fender
> flash to the light blue paint job...  Was this a correct combination with grey
> seats and blue rugs?
>
>   Front and rear windscreen seals... how hard, how much?
>
>      Thanks!
>         John
> P.S. My steering wheel is decomposing, the paint has all been worn off because
> someone wore rings, and on hot days the material the steering wheel is made of
> rubs off... the finger bumps on the back of the wheel have worn almost smooth,
> and the horn rim is broken on two spokes, and the red on the MG badge is faded
> gone.  These things are nigh on immpossible to find here, but since you had
> all those Cambridges out there in England I was wondering if you might know of
> someone with a steering wheel/rim/badge/any of above that I could buy off
> them?  Surely it would be cheaper than having any of these parts restored.
> ALSO!  Choke knob... mine is gone, just a little metal stick poking out of the
> dash, any sources?
>
> THANKS AGAIN>>>  John
 Dear John,

The Austin A55 Mk2 was also exported to the USA and Canada, it uses the
same parts as your Magnette. The door opening edge trim is sold by a
firm called WOOLIES on44 01778 347347, fax 347841. They stock a huge
selection of 1950's, 60's, and 70's British car trims and materials,
from leather through to plastics, uncluding the door 'fuzz'.

The other bits will cause more problems, have you tried EARLPARTS on 44
01773 719504, fax 538828, he has huge supplies of FARINA, ( and Triumph,
and MG 1100/1300,) items; both new and s/h. The other Farina ( and older
MG model,) parts supplier is NTG of Ipswich, on 44 01473 211240, fax
743133, email< NTG200@aol.com >. Both these firms have catalogues.

Secondhand items are more difficult....CMM monthly, is often full of
goodies, email < subscriptions@classicmotor.co.uk >. You can find bits
in here, and advertise to find them. Mick Holehouse on 44 01282 618802,
and Richard Truscott on 44 01752 849482 have s/h items often.

Neil.