mgs

Re: Disregard for Pollution Control Standards

To: lundgren@iname.com (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Re: Disregard for Pollution Control Standards
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:08:44 -0500
Let me offer an alternative view.

People in parts of the country where emissions are not stringently tested still
are forced into compliance by having to purchase new vehicles which meet
standards.  In the big picture, this is the primary reason vehicle emission
controls work.  Older vehicles are forced off the road by attrition (though I
admit those in the last stages of deterioration  are very dirty indeed.)

Vehicles over 7 years old comprise a pretty small percentage of vehicle miles
driven.  (Percentage of registered vehicles isn't the issue, only driven
vehicles pollute!  I have about a dozen cars; the ones which are driven daily
are late models with complete and intact emission controls... and I live where
there is no enforcement of these standards.)

I'm of the opinion that draconian enforcement of emissions on older cars is
like trying to teach a pig to sing.  It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Any benefit is likely marginal and only serves to put power in the hands of
politicians and money in the pocket of influential lobbies.

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI