mgs

Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 15:55:06 -0500
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> Lastly for now.  To check the master cylinder push rod to ensure that
> pressure can be relieved when I release the brake pedal and therefore not
> cause my brakes to bind <snip>

No, adjustable pushrods between the pedal and the master cylinders are one of
the
anachronisms of the old 'A's, Healeys, etc. The latter cars, like your 74
Midget,
do not have threaded pushrods so there is nothing for you to check.

Actually, they are "self adjusting" in that the material used for the rod/fork
is
so soft that the clevis pin connecting to the pedal oblongs the hole in the
rod/fork. Hunker down in the footwell and observe that when you begin to press
the
brake/clutch pedals that a lot of play has to be taken up before you feel the
resistance of the master cylinder piston beginning operation.

So, worry about something else.

PS: The blue slime is anti-squeal. When I first came across the stuff doing a
Honda Accord I determined it doesn't seem to do any harm when smeared on the
front
of the brake pads, either. ;^)

Bob Allen, Kansas City
"O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet." -- St. Augustine (A.D. 354-430)