mgs

Re: Turn Signals & More Stuff

To: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Subject: Re: Turn Signals & More Stuff
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 16:18:32 +0000
Ben Ruset wrote:

> What are the steps to troubleshooting lack of turn signals on a 78 B?
>
> This is the story thus far:
>
> I bought the car w/o a hazzard switch. I got one from a listmember.
>
> I plug the switch in, and turn it on - i hear either a relay or the flasher
> clicking away like mad. Neither the <- -> lights on the dash, nor the side
> marker lights flash. When I move the stalk up and down, nothing happens.
>
> Can I jumper the female terminals on the plug that the hazzard switch goes
> into to see if the switch is toast? Would replacing the flasher help? Mine
> is dangling down in the passenger footwell. I would really, really, like to
> avoid buying a new stalk if I could.

Ben - if the hazard flasher is clicking then that indicates that the switch is
connecting a load to it, possibly the hazard warning lamp?  If you jumper the
two
green wires on the hazard switch (with the hazard switch off) your turn signals
*should* work, there should be 12v on these wires with the ignition on.  If the
turn signals now work then the switch is faulty.  If the turn signals light but
don't flash you either have one or more bad grounds or the turn flasher is
duff.
If they don't light at all try jumpering the two contacts on the turn flasher
as
well.  If the turn lamps now come on then the turn flasher is duff.

If you jumper the light green on the hazard switch to the green/red or the
green/white then the hazard flasher should start to flash and lights one side
or
the other should flash.

If you still can't get any of the turn lamps to work then you will have to
jumper a
hot wire to the green/red and green/white wires at various points in the loom
and
look for disconnections.  As the two sides are completely independent you may
have
any number of faults.

> Another question: What are the correct steps in lowering the top? I mean,
> where do i fold the top? When I drop the top, it looks rather silly, coming
> to about half the height of the headrests. On fitting the half tonneau, I
> assume I have to remove the rear anchor bar, right?

Yes, unhook the rear bar and fold it forward onto the top of the hood, tucking
the
side windows in as you go, then lift the header rail up and back, the top of
the
hood should fold with the frame, hold the rear bar and drape the rear and side
windows over the header rail, closing the catches forst.  Check that the back
hoop
isn't dropping too far and jammimg on top of the wheel arches, preventing the
hood
frame collapsing completely.  My frame also used to stick up above the cockpit
rail, even off the car it wouldn't collapse completely, I could feel something
somewhere was jamming near the end of its travel.  After some investigation I
found
it was caused by the two pieces with the pronounced dog-leg attached to the top
of
the middle hoop - the dog-leg wasn't pronounced enough.  I increased each of
the
bends of the dog-leg to very nearly a right-angle and now the whole thing
collapses
with no hint of stiffness at the end and the tonneau cover fits neatly over the
folded hood and clips onto the heel-board.  However there is still no way it
will
do this if I use the tonneau sticks, so I don't.

Good luck,
PaulH.