mgs

Re: MGA SU Carbs...

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Subject: Re: MGA SU Carbs...
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 22:46:35
At 04:33 PM 7/6/98 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>Michael Graziano wrote:
>>
>> Have to opportunity to pick up a pair of SU carbs off a late 50's MGA
....  Would I be able to use these carbs instead of my ZS on my '78 Midget.
 If so,  what do I need other than the carbs (i.e. intake manifold?)

>  Manifold, heat shield, throttle linkage, and new needles.
>
>  Everything but the needles and manifold can be fabricated.
>
>  However, if the car is in that shape, the carbs might be pretty junky as
well. You might be better off trying to source a pair of nice HS4s from a
junkyarded B that was trashed for an accident or other reason than "abuse".
They would be much closer in style and vintage to the original style twin
SU carbs.

Whoa there, Trevor.  I may be wrong, somebody catch me if I am, but the '78
Midget has a 1500 Triumph engine, not very closely related to the MG
B-series engines.  I suspect that the MGA intake manifold will not fit on
that TR engine in the '78 Midget.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude