mgs

Re: MGB White Smoke when idling

To: "David M. Proffitt" <D.M.Proffitt@mds.qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: MGB White Smoke when idling
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 19:56:30 +0000
David M. Proffitt wrote:

> Hello All
>
> When i first got my 1970 MGB GT it used to produce small quantities
> of white smoke from the exhaust when idling at junctions etc.
>
> After about six months the head gasket blew
>
> I replaced the gasket and have been driving it for about 3 months now
> - the smoke seemed to have gone - so I had assumed it was from oil
> that was getting into the combustion chamber while the gasket was in
> the early stages of deterioration?
>
> In the last week it has started to produce white smoke for a short
> while after starting but this soon clears on revving the engine
>
> Am I looking at the beginning of the same senario again? (if so is
> there any thing I can do) or is this likely to be a coincidental
> symptom with some other cause?
>
> any advice appreciated
>
> David Proffitt

David - I would have suggested your first white 'smoke' was water
getting into the combustion chambers e.g. head gasket.  This time if the
engine is cold it could be normal steam (but surely you would have
noticed it before) but maybe it is head gasket again.  Unless the
original gasket was faulty it is unfortunately possible that a defect in
the head or the block is causing them to fail.

Good luck,
PaulH.