mgs

Alternator seized - interesting footnote

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternator seized - interesting footnote
From: Andrew Errington <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 17:25:55 -0700
Well, the replacement I ordered from Kragen wasn't quite right, so I took
it back.  I don't mind paying c.$70 for a new one, but it has to fit.
 Thanks to everyone for the GM Alternator advice, but I'd like to keep a
stock alternator (and not be cursed so much in the future as a DPO).
 Anyway, I now have one on order from Pep Boys, for $66, so we'll see how
we get on with that.

So, I was really stuck on Friday, with a seized alternator, and a less than
useful replacement.  I called the local MG shop, and explained that I
wouldn't pay $135 for a Moss part, but I would pay $20 for any random spare
one lying around.  To their credit they understood the price was high, but
wouldn't back down, then offered me a 'loaner' alternator.  They explained
that they wouldn't charge me as they had no idea if it would work as
essentially it was a core to be returned some time, but I could have it if
it was any use, and return it when I got a working replacement.  I took it
of course, because even if it didn't work it would tension the belt and I
could get home on battery power.

Admittedly I have done a lot of business with them, and although I bitch
about their (Moss's) prices, their service is excellent and at times like
this I really appreciate it.

The interesting footnote is that as a side effect I have noticed my engine
is running cooler, so I guess the alternator had been binding for a while
and either loading the engine or preventing the water pump and fan from
running efficiently by causing the belt to slip on the crankshaft pulley.

I will let the list at large know how I get on when the Pep Boys part
arrives tomorrow (or Saturday).

Andy
--
'69 Roadster