mgs

Re: Gasoline Fumes & Neighbors

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Gasoline Fumes & Neighbors
From: "Carl Franklin" <carlf@dustdevil.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 11:00:57 -0500
Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com> wrote:

>Here's a poser.  I'm trying to head off a bad scence with my downstairs
>neighbor.  [snip]
>I'd like to keep them from breathing my fumes =or= demanding the sale of my
>baby.
>
>Here are a few things I'm going to try:
>
>3) Weatherstrip the door leading from my garage to the hallway central to
>all 4 units...the smell is pretty strong here and I think it's my biggest
>problem.

TIME OUT!!!!!!

If you weatherstrip the door then where will the fumes go?
Are you working on this beast with Dr. Kervorkian?
You're surely heading toward killing yourself!    :-)

You've got to have ventilation if you're going to work
on the car long enough to tune it right, and especially
if you plan on running it enough to cause that much
exhaust fumes.

>4) Think about buying an air purifier for the garage.

Won't work.  "Purifiers" available at the retail level
for us regular folks just won't cut it.

>Any other ideas?  Thanks for any suggestions.

I used to work in a garage and we kept the place locked
up pretty tight during the winter months.  The solution
was an air handling unit with hoses attached to the
exhaust pipes.  I even installed a similar system in my
garage at home.

Basically the system is a small fan unit connected to
a door or window area that can draw the fumes out
of the garage.  My first unit was pretty simple.  I took
an old window airconditioning unit, gutted it of the
a/c portion but left the fan unit, mounted the fan in
backwards (so that it pulled air from the front instead
of pushing it out the front) and put it in the window.
Whenever I worked on my car with it running for an
extended period of time (such as setting the timing)
I'd flip on the unit.

The second system I made was like the system at the
garage.  I took a piece of exhaust pipe (about 6 inches
long) flanged it so that it fit over the tail pipe of the car,
and then connected that to a length of radiator hose.
Remember, you'll need something that can stand the
exhaust heat.  I then ran that to a large vent hose
for a clothes dryer (about 12 foot long) and ran that to
a side window.  I had the window raised about
8 inches and had built a jig to fit in the open space.
In the middle I installed a vent (clothes dryer vent,
just like you see on most houses) and it allowed
the exhaust to vent out the side of the house.

There are lots of other ways to do the same thing.
The main thing to remember is that CO from an
exhaust can be very dangerous.  You really have
to have proper ventilation.

Carl Franklin
carlf@dustdevil.com  -- Home PC
franklin@mg.cloudccc.cc.ks.us  -- Office PC