mgs

MGA Roadster - whats it worth

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Roadster - whats it worth
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 08:37:37 -0400
Thanks to the listers who responded to my generic pricing question on
the 1960 MGA roadster over the past couple of days.  I went and saw the
car on Wednesday and now would like to once again tap the knowledge of
the list to help me arrive at a fair price.

The car was originally described as "1961 MGA Roadster, no rust, parts
necessary to complete, restoration stalled."  Further described by
seller as runner in good shape that needs some work to complete a
restoration started by a mechanic who was unable to complete what he
started (untimely death, his own)

I went and looked at the car Wednesday afternoon, and here is a more
detailed description of what I found:

Car is in covered storage area and according to seller has sat untouched
for 8 years.  Car is covered with a car cover, wheels and tires removed
and parts and bits and pieces in the passenger compartment and trunk.
Body looks good, no dents, no scratches, paint looks about 8 years from
new, but is somewhat rough to the touch.  I would say car was painted
after body imperfections were repaired, but never rubbed out, waxed and
polished.  Windshield is good, no cracks.  Side curtains, top and other
trim pieces are pretty ratty and are not affixed to the car.  Dash has
been loosened and is hanging in approximate position, but not attached
to car.  Seats look like they have 8 years of dust on them, but
otherwise okay, no holes, rips.  Interior carpet is toast.  There is no
heater in the engine compartment; panel is in place where the heater
should go.

There is no evidence of rust except light surface rust on underside of
car.  Sills seem solid, doors close tightly and line up well in the door
jambs.

There are no batteries and thus no way to know if the engine will start,
one carb is off the intake manifold and in a box in the trunk.  Seller
indicates that the motor was rebuilt.  It does look clean and there was
no evidence of great puddles of oil underneath car.  All wheels are off
car with new tires mounted.  The axles are free and will turn, front and
rear.

The seller showed me a listing of parts (two pages of notebook paper
with two columns per page) that were represented to have been purchased
from Moss 8 years ago for between $1000 and $1200.  Some parts have a
notation "installed on car".  Parts not installed are in boxes in and
around car and include a new gas tank, new bumpers and over riders, new
insignia, the panel that covers the batteries, new headlight buckets,
brake kits, hoses, clips and much more.

>From underneath the car, again there is surface rust, the exhaust pipe
is rusted through (new pipes and muffler included in new parts not
installed) but no other evidence of cancer.  Frame appears straight and
sound.

Car was last inspected in 1976, so it is likely it has been off the road
for better than 20 years.

The seller thinks the car should bring between $5-8,000.  I offered
$3500 and left without the car.

What is it worth ?  I like it and think it would make a great project to
finish, but don't want to get burned (again)  Any further comments will
be greatly appreciated.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA