mgs

backfire hell

Subject: backfire hell
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 98 21:21:50 -0700
Took my car out today after it was sitting for about a week. It ran like
crap. It had been idling a little rough when cold, but since I haven't
been driving it much (had the interior out), I thought I had lost the zen
of the choke. But today was the worst. It idled excruciatingly rough and
weakly.  I had to constantly rev the engine and fiddle with the choke to
keep it from stalling. It had no power at the bottom of the curve. And
when I  accelerated on the highway, it started backfiring like crazy.

Other information: The carbs were rebuilt about a year ago. Everything
was set and reset last December when the car was smogged. And I have an
Ignitor electronic ignition system.

Now the questions:

I was once told I had pin holes in the exhaust.  (It does occassionally
backfire on decelleration.) Could the holes be the cause? I do plan on
replacing the exhaust system. Should I move the calendar up?

Also, last week I bought gas at a different station than I usual do (same
brand though.) Could I have gotten a batch of bad or mis-labeled gas?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Joseph
67 B Roadster