mgs

Spot Weld Removal

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spot Weld Removal
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 20:07:59 -0400
Larry Pitts wrote

" My biggest problem was finding the best way to cut through the spot
welds. Regular
drill bits last about two welds and then are to dull to deal with. I
purchased a spot weld cutter from the Eastwood Co. ($25 or so). I'm mostly
unimpressed with this tool. (maybe I don't know how to use it correctly). I
then purchased a drill bit from a machine shop called a coban bit(?). Cut
through most of the welds with no problem and is still good to go. I found
it easier to cut most of the sill off with a high speed grinder exposing
the
back side, drilling through the welds and then with a chisel (air or by
hand ) knock through the remains. Wire brushing away the paint from the
spot
welds made it easier to identify exactly where they are located. Most of my
problems came when trying to remove the sill from around the "A" post.
I Drilled the spot welds out from the bottom but was unable to cleanly
drill
a small triangular shaped wedge attaching the "A" post,sill, and box
section"

I can identify with Larry Pitts problems drilling out spot welds.  The
Eastwood tool only works if you can operate it at 90 degrees to the panel.
What size drill bit did you find worked best?  Was it a 3/16?  I would like
to hear more about the "coban bit" you mentioned.  Is it cobalt material?