mgs

Carb leak question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carb leak question
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 16:04:46 -0400
Cross-posting from Spridgets list - If you've already seen the post, feel
free to hit delete.

Listers,

I hope my ignorance of the proper names and functions of certain parts
doesn't make this question unintelligible, but here goes.

As those of you who have followed my recent Britfest posts know, I am in
the process of fixing my exhaust system from engine back.  I got a nice
looking manifold from Fisher Jones and started the install last night.

As usual, taking all the bits and hoses off the car went quite smartly.  Of
course, installing the manifold and other bits up to the carbs was quite
easy as well.  Here comes the problem.

When fiddling with the carbs (I hope I got those choke and throttle
linkages right) by mistake I detached the fuel line under the forward carb.
 You know, the one that is covered by the coiled metal housing?  Well, I
tryed to put it back on and thought I had it....but then I noticed a leak.
Futzed around and finally decided to try and tighten that little nut right
at the carb base.  Seems to have reduced or stopped the leak (I have to
test further today).  Is this the correct way to do this?  Is there some
little trick I need to do to be sure this is safely put back together.
List help is appreciated as I don't want to have a fire consume my baby!

Thanks,
Philip

PS I have tested today and it pours gas out like a faucet.  Also, I can be
a bit more precise I think.  My leak is at the base of the float chamber,
not the carb itself.  There is that fuel line that comes off the carb to
the float chamber (that's the piece to the side of the carb itself?).  No
leak between carb and short fuel line, but it leaks badly at the other
end...the end connecting short fuel line to float chamber.

I'm pulling the carbs off again to take a closer look.
1974 MG Midget (Burgundy)