mgs

Cams

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cams
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 11:33:15 EDT
<<Anybody have any experience with that combination in an mga 1622cc road
engine?
It's a 270 degree cam Moss sells in their MGB catalog.
John Vallely>>

I'd suggest that you only fit it if you are going to clean up the head and
perhaps go to 1 3/4" SUs. Otherwise you won't get full benefit from it.
The cam you are talking about is similar to the old AEH-714, by the way, and
may or may not have improved profiles. In terms of the 'new' way of
designating cam timing, ie at .050" clearance, your cam would have about 220
deg. (just so you can compare timing with newer stuff).

Personally, whenever I choose a cam, I get on the phone or net with the cam
company themselves, not an intemediary like Moss, where the person you are
talking with may have more expertise in Triumph interior kits than MG camshaft
selection. You can get some pretty knowledgable guys. Or try APT - they really
know what they are doing and know MG engines inside and out. I have done some
oddball stuff recently like custom turbo cams and whatnot (not for MGs) and
had very good luck with Comp Cams, but in the case of MG's I'd tend to start
with somebody like APT that knows the particular engine.
I wish that I had been able to find someone who was a guru for Twinkie engines
when I was choosing my race car cams, but ther wasn't anyone! You art luckier
- there are  many experienced MG camshaft people, but you won't find them
(probably) by asking a group like this - go straight to the source.

Bill S.