mgs

Re: Bosch Platinum Plugs

To: Ross Vincenti <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Subject: Re: Bosch Platinum Plugs
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:00:27 -0500
Ross Vincenti wrote:

> Trevor wrote:
>
> Gernot Vonhoegen wrote:
> > IMHO platinum plugs are a waste of money and a sales gimmick.
> __________
>      I used to think so, but I am not sure. I had a long battle getting my
>      1970 MGB to run for the first time in a while. There was a short while
>      where I could get it to ALMOST run and puff some smoke but not stay
>      running.It would only do this with Bosch Platinum plugs. I original
>      started alternating sets of plugs as I cranked it to keep one set
>      drying and clean. But the Champions never showed any life, and the
>      Bosch plugs ALMOST started the car which kept me trying that day.
>      +++++++++++++++++++
>      Yeah, but did it ever start?

  Yes, now it runs fine and would probably run on any old plug without
a hitch.

  However, for that day, I had a fully repeatable condition where the
Bosch would fire the car and the Champions would not.

  For a bit of background, the car was low on compression from sitting
a long while, presumably stuck rings. I was using oil in the cylinders
to raise the compression, which caused the car to fire but the plugs to
foul almost instantly and stop the engine. This is why I was
switching plugs so often, I was hoping that eventually it would fire
just
enough to keep running and then the rings would free themselves.

  Eventually I soaked the bores in diesel fuel for a week and then it
fired right up and has been golden ever since.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/