mgs

Re: mg bodywork and ? mig welder

To: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Subject: Re: mg bodywork and ? mig welder
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:46:43 -0500
David F. Darby wrote:

> Hello John:
>
> Just my opinion, but the small Sears welder I borrowed and used features a
> constantly energized electrode (welding wire) which made it very unhandy --
> not to mention frustrating -- for a novice to use. The Lincoln welders are
> not that much more costly and are much smoother and easier to use.

  I agree fully.

  With the "constantly energized electrode" it means you can't lightly
touch the electrode to the work, then cover your face and start welding
on
exactly the right spot. You have to hover near the work, cover your
face, and then take a stab for it. Needless to say you often miss and
you don't notice until you start welding and it gets bright enough to
see your mistake.

  As well, you find yourself burning the electrode down after you've
turned off the wire feed, and if you weld right back to the tip the
tip is often ruined, which costs money and you have to stop, shut
down, and change it.

  I am not sure if that Sears welder is or isn't this way, but avoid it
if it is.

  I just bought a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 to replace the gear I lost use
of when I moved out of home a few years ago. I've only had
it for a couple of days but I am very impressed with it overall,
reasonably
priced, compact, etc. It feels well made as well, nothing feels "cheap"
about it like some welders with plasticky guns and cheap switches
and knobs.

  For those in Canada, the Lincoln goes on sale for $449 at Canadian
tire at least one out of every 8 weeks. When it does, go to their
website,
go to the eflyer (electronic sales flyer) and print the page of the
flyer
that has the welder on it. Take it in and you'll get double canadian
tire money on it ($27 instead of $13.50). The welder will actually only
cost you
$422CDN. It was on sale last week and that's when I bit the bullet and
bought it this way.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/