mgs

Re: Front tube shocks

To: David Tietz <mgcats@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Front tube shocks
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:49:31 -0600
David Tietz wrote:

> Scott, you wrote
>
> >I don't know the details on tube shocks on the front wheels--I'm
> >copying this to the group for someone more knowing to jump in.
>
> I don't know if the front conversion is worth it. I did one of my MGs,
> but I really couldn't tell a difference (not like the rears). It
> requires putting in an additional brake line tube (about 14" long) to go
> around the shock... no big deal, but you have to re-bleed the brakes.
> Other than that, it is very easy with the Moss kit.
>
> I you want, I have a used Moss kit (complete except for the brake
> lines), but you could make your own) that I would be happy to sell for
> $75.00. I bought it at a show once, but never put them on. I think they
> are over $200 new.
>
> Dave Tietz

Problem with the commercially offered kits is that they are cantilevered
and impose stresses and flexs where you don't want tnem.  I built a very
successful Solo car some years ago and built my own front conversion
using Konis intended for the rear. just bolted them to the inner fender
using aluminum angle.  worked out well.  John.