mgs

Re: Tonneau Installation Help!

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: Tonneau Installation Help!
From: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric R. Stephen)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:59:31 -0500 (EST)
***********************************
Dan:

Try and get ahold of a copy of A-Antics Tech Tips put out by the Michigan
Capter of NAMGAR.  The manual provides lots of pictures and some
reasonable instructions on installing a tonneau (pp. 223-225).  The
instructions are as follows:
1) Test fit the cover and mark the center.
2) Use an exacto knife and cut slits for the fastener. (Use care as it is
easy to make a larger cut than needed).
3) Have someone help hold the front while the tonneau is taut over the
cockpit.  The "arch punch" is used to punch the fabric over the stud.
Repeat at the front.
4) Push the tangs through the fabric.
5) Center the snap ovetr the hole.  Push down to mark the fabric.
6) Use an adjustable plier to bend the tangs over the backing plate.
7) Finish the snaps, working from fron to back, side to sie.  Do not
install snaps "all in a row" as the cover will wrinkle.
8) Eyeball the turnbutton eyelet over the turnbutton, pushing the tangs
against the fabric.  Slit with knife and install the eyelet as with the
snaps.
9) Cut the fabric.

|  |
|  |
|  | diagram of an "arch punch"
|  |
|  |
\  /
The arch punch looks like a tube with an ID slightly larger than the OD of
the studs and sharpened to a bevel.

Hope this helps,  Eric

--
         ' ' '          Great is the truth and mighty above all things;
      (  o   o )        It endureth and is always strong;