mgs

RE: Favorite Roads (was some other BS) Re: CA's Pacific Hwy

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Favorite Roads (was some other BS) Re: CA's Pacific Hwy
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:13:30 -0600
Alright I'll bite:

Arkansas State highway 7 - pretty much all of it. The park part in =
particular. If going from South to North there's a monster downhill just =
before Dogpatch, I think. If you pay attention, somewhere near =
Russelville is a sign proudly announcing that litter control for that =
particular stretch is provided by the "Knights of the Klu Klux Klan"; =
frightening.=20

Minnesota Route 61 from Duluth to Grand Marais and then up the Gunflint =
trail. Stunning views and good curves, dodging the logging trucks keeps =
it challenging.

US 52 from Dubuque, IA  to Rochester, MN, nothing like you'd expect from =
the Mississippi basin=20

US 220 from Roanoke, VA to Madison, SC - Where good sports cars go when =
they die. Interesting at the tail end of a long drive from NYC to =
Winston-Salem

Sussex County Rt.  521, From Swartswood, NJ (find that on a map!) to =
Port Jervis, NY and then NY state route 97 for as long as you like. =
There are a few bits of other roads in there I think, but hey it's been =
five years. You almost can't go wrong in any part of Sussex county for =
good driving. Drive down through the abandoned towns in the Delaware =
Nat'l forest and along the Delaware river to Reigelsville for dinner.

Chestnut Hill Road, Tarkiln Road, Old Victory Highway, Snake Hill Road, =
State Route 100 in northwest Rhode Island, ancient high-crowned, big =
trees and stone walls, terrifying at speed. the kind of roads I picture =
older MGs being driven on when they were new. =20

Phil Vanner