mgs

Re: Moving to California

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Moving to California
From: SndMn19 <SndMn19@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:04:32 EST
John Bartholomew wrote:
       >Be aware California has a $300 fee for registering your car if it from
out
>of state and does not have a sticker showing that it complies with
>California emissions standards.<

When I moved to L.A. in late '88, I was assessed an environmental impact
charge of $540(!) to register my 5 week old Cherokee even though it had a
sticker on the firewall proclaiming that it fully complied with California
emissions standards.  This charge was on top of the usual registration fee as
well as a charge to make up the difference between GA and CA sales tax rates.
In all, it cost me over $900 for the honor of displaying a California license
plate.  Granted, I did get two plates for my money where Georgia only gave me
one.

Also something to consider: when we returned (thankfully) to Atlanta, the
money I spent to insure the Jeep for six months in LA was sufficient to
provide equivalent coverage for the Jeep, my wife's '92 Saturn, and the MGA
(obligatory LBC content) for an entire year!

If you're still considering a move to CA, it must be a GREAT job.  Good luck.

Ray Dilfield