mgs

Re: Sunbeam Alpine

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Alpine
From: "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:03:35 -0500

Edwin McCarroll wrote:

> Ok! its not an MG.   But one is for sale locally and I thought I
> would take a look-see.    Anyone have any experience with
> this cars?   As I don't see many of them around I am wondering
> if maybe they weren't popular for a reason(s).   Any opinions
> or helpful info. out there?

  Hi Edwin--

My first car was a '67 Alpine! My father found it for me & I paid cash
for it ($900, as I remember!) in the spring of 1970.

The car was a blast! Wire wheels, the whole nine yards-- top went up
about the first snow of the year! Drove it all year long-- went just
fine in the snow.

Look for rust in all the usual LBC places. Same caveats apply to
Sunbeams as MGBs. There is a good description of what to look (out) for
on the web somewhere. I found it last fall before buying my B. Shouldn't
be too hard to find.

The car was imported by Chrysler for a while (my dad worked for Chrysler
for 32 years, so he "approved" the Alpine).

Check it over, but I wish I had my Alpine still!! BTW, there is a dealer
(LBC stuff mostly) in Holland, MI that has a really sharp Alpine for
$4500. Not concourse, maybe, but excellent condition. If I'd the $$$ . .
. .

Gary
74 MGB
Michigan