mgs

1600 Pistons

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1600 Pistons
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:51:50 EST
<<Flat top
pistons are available for the 1588cc ... you might be able to overbore
and use the
standard 1622cc pistons, but this is pure conjecture on my part ...
overboring can lead
to cylinder wall flex and overheating.>>

The 1622 bore is only about .020 and there is no problem with the overbore,
but you have to use the larger wrist pin rods from a 1622 or 3-main B. I think
that 1588 flatops are probably unobtainable. I'd suggest aftermarket like Ross
or Venolia, but you might have to supply your original wrist pins to be fit to
the new pistons, as I don't know that the old clamped gudgeon pin is that
common these days.

By the way, Larry, an excellent response!

Bill S.