mgs

Re: NON-LBC - Opel GT Question

To: saschris@flash.net (Christopher Delling)
Subject: Re: NON-LBC - Opel GT Question
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:00:10 -0500
Ah - the "Mini-Vette".  Another one of those cars I lusted after as a
kid, especially with the '69-'70 optional (standard in the later cars,
but at a 90 hp lower compression version)1.9-liter OHC 4.  102
horsepower, 0-60 in 10.2 sec., with a top speed of 111 mph.  Yum, yum.
Styling was unmistakeably similar to the Corvette in production at the
time,   It shared a chassis with the Kadett, but the engine and
passenger compartment were moved back about a foot.  Wheelbase was a tad
longer.  Front disc brakes were standard on the GT, and a 3-speed
automatic was available.

The GT evolved from an  experimental sports car that had been displayed
at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1964.  Bodies were produced in France, by
Brissoneau and Lotz, from a design created largely by Clare MacKichan of
GM (explains the Corvette resemblance), then working at Opel.

Car and Drive described the GT as a "teeny-bopper Corvette with a
mini-powerplant".  Car Life's review said "it looks like a Mini-Vette,
and handles more like a 'Vette than an Opel" - high praise, if you ask
me.

I don't know how well they've held up over the last 20-something years,
but I imagine, being unibody construction, the rust worm is a major
problem.  There were, however, over 100,000 GTs produced during the 4
years, so there are probably a lot of parts cars around, and  there are
sources for aftermarket parts.

The few "show-quality" cars I've seen are just gorgeous and the owners
have not indicated any problem specific to these cars (I mean, nothing
you wouldn't encounter in any 20-30 yr old car).  If you like it, and
it's reasonably priced, take it for a test drive, and see how it fits.
They're almost as much fun as our LBCs.

-NORY

Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort