mgs

Re: British Cars in the USA Question

To: gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: British Cars in the USA Question
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:26:00 -0600
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:56:18 +0000 "Scott Gardner"
<gardner7@pilot.infi.net> writes:
>I thought Sterling was a joint effort between Honda and Rolls-Royce.
>Is RR part of the Rover group, or am I just horribly misremembering?
>Scott

The latter.  Honda owned a percentage of the Rover group (25 or 30 per
cent, if I recall correctly).  They were a prime candidate to purchase
Rover because of this, but eventually bowed out in favor of BMW.  The
Sterling failure may have something to do with Honda leaving, I don't
know.

Rolls has had an agreement for engine development with BMW for some time,
who is favored to purchase them.  However, Rolls Royce PLC (the jet
engine maker) still owns the RR name (although not the auto manufacturing
co.-- confused yet?) and is supposedly hesitating to sell it to a
non-British company.

This is like the seven degrees of Kevin Bacon, isn't it?  Interesting
that BMW could end up owning both RR and Rover.  Ford has got Jaguar and
Aston Martin.  Who has Lotus nowadays?  Seems like Morgan is the only
"British" British car left.

Required MG content:  BMW owns Rover which owns the MG name and
manufactures the MGF.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII