mgs

Favourite MGs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Favourite MGs
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 18:08:38 EST
<< I suppose the penultimate MGA, by this measure, would be the
Mk2 Deluxe, which had everything the twin cam and Mk2 had except the
twinkie motor.>>

***That's why I drive my Mk2 coupe as a deluxe.

<<But I've heard that the coupe is even noisier and hotter than the
roadster, no?  I've never ridden in one, but I have a couple of friends
that have put A/C in them, whereas they never thought to do that with the
roadsters they have owned.>>

*** No. The coupe is actually cooler because of it's forced draft. Nor is it
noisier, and it has sound deadening material on the firewall that the roadster
lacks (guess they thought it was a losing battle). The reason that no one puts
air in a roadster is that without a top and roll up windows that seal
reasonably well, it would be a waste of time. It's for exactly this reason
that some people do put it in a coupe - it works. The coupe, by the way, is
also more streamlined and has a better top end than a roadster with the
windshield on.

<<It is obvious from your descriptions that your perspective is as a
driver, not a collector or, except for your comment on the MGA, as an
admirer of automotive styling.  Therefore, no mention of any MG prior to
the MGA.>>

***I do admire the styling of many of the older models, T types included, but
you are right, I do use my cars and no amount of good styling, if mated with
indifferent performance or substandard mechanical spec would persuade me to
give garage space to something that I didn't enjoy using. I've driven my Mk 2
coupe to Namgar Nationals twice, trailered my Twincam once (and stuck a
muffler on it and drove it on the street), and have driven other cars like my
65 Jensen to California from BC several times, my 71 Jensen twice, my MGC to
national meets three times, etc., etc. Why else do you think that I'm crazy
enough to race a Twincam? I've had people ask if I'm afraid of wasting a
collectible car if I destroy an engine. I'd rather one more Twincam engine go
to Mowog Valhalla while in the heat of battle than sit forever in a quiet
garage somewhere! If it was just about money, I'd own something else!

Bill S.