mgs

300ZX swap

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 300ZX swap
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:19:07 EST
<<The MG has a great deal of problems with its electronics throwing EFI into
the
mess to me seems like a bad idea. I think that keeping with the basic carb. is
the best thing to do.>>

Let me get this straight - because you think that the stock electrics in an
MGB (the engine components of which you intend to throw away anyway) are
unreliable, you want to remove the well engineered Nissan fuel injection
system (which _doesn't_ have such problems), together with the engine
management system that incorporates such non-optional components such as the
knock sensor which connects to the fuel system (which you will have thrown
away) in order to prevent detonation, and then reverse engineer a carb setup
without such feedback control, _AND_ you think that all of this is somehow an
improvement!

You clearly subscribe to a school of automotive masochism that defies reason;
if you ever do get around to committing such perverse acts upon an
unsuspecting MGB and Nissan, I hope you at least derive some perverse pleasure
fom it.

You remind me of another person on a Fiero group that I watch. There is a very
well engineered turbo kit for the V6 Fiero that gives a bolt-on and reliable
210 bhp. This guy decided that this kit was too expensive and that he wanted
to start again with a second hand turbo unit from a wrecking yard instead. We
haven't heard from him after some loud and expensive noises were the net
result of his efforts.

By the way, if you must do engine swaps, ther are worse engines than the
Pontiac V6 - use the 3.1 version with engine management system and some modest
mods to get about 180 bhp. About the same weight as an MGB engine, and it
bolts to a GM truck 5 speed. Just a thought.

Bill S.
Twincams, MGC and (300 bhp) Fiero