mgs

Re: Rust, gas, carbs, trouble...and oil filter

To: bwylie@HiWAAY.net
Subject: Re: Rust, gas, carbs, trouble...and oil filter
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:01:33 EST
Hi Blake,
 My $.02 is that you should buy a bunch of the plastic, semi transparent
fuel filters. Put one in the rubber hose where it loops forward then
backward to the front carb. Set it forward, away from the manifold as far
as possible.  By watching the solids accumulate, you will have some idea
what sort of metal flake is loose in the tank. It's also easy to change
there.
  To protect the pump, a filter would need to be installed on the suction
line between pump and tank. It protects the pump, but is hard to get at
when it plugs up, so if that happens on a busy route you may not want to
slide under the car to change it.  There is supposed to be a filter in
the line entering the pump, but the screen is often missing.
  The objection to the inverted oil filter is that the oil drains from it
when the engine is stopped, so the filter must fill before pressurised
oil gets to rotating parts.  The hanging filters did not have this
disadvantage. If I had the hanging filter, I would not change to the
inverted type.
Bob